For more than 24 years, recycling containers have been manned twice a month on scheduled Saturdays at the Roaring Brook Township Building, 430 Blue Shutters Road.
- There is no state mandate (based on population) to require this service from Roaring Brook Township.
- The program is strictly voluntary to benefit our residents.
Goal: reduce the tonnage of recyclable items placed in landfill, extending the life of natural resources and saving our residents money.
From October 1990 to December 31, 2014 our program collected and sent to the Lackawanna County Recycling Center for processing 3363 ton, or 6,726,000 pounds of recyclables(yes that’s millions). This equates to 224,200, 30 pound plastic bags. At today’s rate of $2.70 per bag that is $605,340.00 in total savings for residents who participated.
- The program is financed by local tax dollars.
- The township pays all costs with some reimbursement from the state.
- The reimbursement amount has been drastically slashed by the state the last four years.
- Without volunteers the program does not go forward.
|Mary Jordan||Recycling Coordinator|